Purpose: To promote deep spiritual development within Pasadena Covenant’s community of faith, whose mission is “Seeking God, Sharing God”, resulting in active commitment to the disciplines of evangelism, hospitality and justice. To form meaningful relationships with the members of the church while developing staff and lay leaders to further Christ’s work in our city, the nation, and our world.
Reports to: the Trustee Council Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preaches and teaches the Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments, preaching 65% to 75% of the Sunday services each year and assures pastoral coverage for the other 25% to 35%.
- Administers the sacraments, Holy Baptism, and the Lord’s Supper, according to the practices of the Evangelical Covenant Church.
- Oversees public worship services in collaboration with the Pastor of Worship and Music and the Worship and Arts Team.
- Provides overall leadership, including further development, articulation and implementation of the church’s vision.
- Supervises, coaches, mentors and assists the Pastors and staff who have primary responsibility in the ministries of the congregation, conducting annual reviews in consultation with the Personnel Committee and with the Trustee Council.
- Plans and leads regular staff meetings.
- Participates in the calling, screening, and hiring of church staff.
- Partners with the staff and church leadership in administering all aspects of thecongregation’s life and ministry, including meeting with the Church Chairperson monthly (or more frequently as needed), and meeting monthly with the Trustee Council, and, as needed with the Personnel Committee and Budget Committee.
- Meets with or assigns pastoral staff to meet with all other council positions and ministry teams.
- Prepares written materials, ministry recommendations, and staff ministry updates as requested by the Trustee Council or as needed.
- Prepares for and participates in congregational meetings, forums, and annual meetings.
- In alternate years, attends the Pacific Southwest Conference Annual Meeting and Mid-winter denominational meeting, participating and serving in other denominational and conference roles and activities as approved by the Trustee Council.
- Promotes staff development by working with individual staff to identify annual denominational activities for church representation as well as ongoing staff development training opportunities.
- Works with the Stewardship Chair to promote, educate, and advocate responsible biblical stewardship in the congregation.
- Provides input to the development of the church budget to the Trustees, Executive Pastor, and Budget Committee.
- Support pastoral staff and lay leadership in teaching children, youth, and adults with a thoughtful and well-developed spiritual formation program.
- Oversees other projects as requested by the Trustee Council
- Leads the congregation in witnessing for Christ, gathering into community the lost and unconnected, and participates in ministries of compassion and justice.
- Equips leaders to work with Cross Cultural Ministry, Outreach and Evangelism, and Peace and Justice.
- Equips and works with leaders involved in outreach beyond the church community, i.e.: Alpha, etc.
- Maintains and develops relationships with other Covenant churches in Pasadena
- Together with pastoral staff, committees, members and caregivers, provides pastoral care through visitation, counseling, and prayer.
- Participates in congregational life by attending church-wide events, periodically attending various church group meetings, functions, and activities.
- Provides special services such as baptisms, dedications, weddings and funerals
Qualifications Needed for the Position:
- M.Div. or equivalent theological degree
- Ordained, licensed Covenant pastor or in process of obtaining license
- Experience in a lead pastor role for 3 years or more
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate well with others.
- Ability to develop a compelling vision and to passionately communicate the vision.
- Ability to develop, encourage and motivate staff and lay leadership to work together to fulfill the mission of the church.
- Conduct consistent with the Covenant’s rules for the Ordered Ministry, and it’s Ethical Principles for Covenant Ministers.
- A life lived consistent with the Word of God, striving in word and deed to be aworthy example of Christian living.
- Committed to his/her own Christian journey, to the priority of God’s relationship in his/her life, and an active participant of Pasadena Covenant Church.